Detox is one of the most popular terms in diet and/or health world. On the contrary, not many know and understand much about it. What is detox, why should we worry about it, and how we can do detox in a safe way? This week we will be talking about detoxing on Emtech, so let’s check it out.
How does the body carry out the detoxing process?
• Skin – eliminates toxins through sweat
• Liver and bile- cleanse the impurity in blood and filter the toxins in blood
• Lung- through phlegm
• Kidney- flush out digestive by-products such as uric acid and some minerals through urination
• Colon- through faecal
• Uterus- through menstruation
Why do we need to detox?
• We are exposed to toxins every single second due to the environment and the basic biochemistry in our body causes it to produce toxins as well. Human being are equipped with our very own detoxification system to help get rid of the toxin, but with the ever increased exposure to toxin, our body may have hard time keeping up.
• Detox helps to boost energy level since you will have good quality of sleep, a boosted immune system, and help in weight management when body metabolism become better.
• Detox also help in external appearance, which improves in the quality of the skin and hair and nail.
Detox diet myth and fact
The goal of detox isn’t to lose weight, but it is to eliminate harmful substances and waste in the body to help improve our health. The body is a well-developed system that has its own built-in mechanisms to detoxify and remove waste and toxins. Our body constantly filters out, breaks down and excretes toxins and waste products like alcohol, medications, by-products of digestion, dead cells and chemicals from processed food or the environment. The body has numerous organs, such as the skin, gut, liver and kidney, that continually ‘detoxify’ the body from head to toe by responding to signals, in the form of hormones, to remove any waste products.
Following are steps to help your body detox:
1. Cut down sugary food such as sugar-sweetened drinks, dessert and processed foods and snacks. With elimination of artificial sugar, this will make your skin more radiant and aid in weight loss. Always remember to replace sugar substitute foods with whole fruits or vegetables.
2. Exercise. People who exercise regularly have fewer toxins in their system as exercising aids in blood and lymph circulation. In addition, exercise promotes sweating which helps to release toxins through the skin.
3. Drinking a glass of warm water in early in the morning on an empty stomach aids in bowel movement. It also helps in flushing out toxins from your body and reduce viscosity levels in blood.
4. Eating a variety of fruit and vegetables. Sufficient consumption of fibre intake helps to shorten the period of the toxins remaining in the colon by helping with bowel movement, toxin can be pass out through faecal.
5. Sleep. Sleep allow body to recover, recharge and rejuvenate. A good night sleep may also help to eliminate the build-up of toxins, mostly because your organs are recharged and ready to do their job.